Monday, June 25, 2012

The Moonstone






This morning I *finally* finished reading Wilkie Collins's mysterious detective story, The Moonstone (1868). I hadn't read a full length Collins novel before, only 'Mr Wray's Cash-Box' one of his shorter stories, so I was keen to dig into this 473 page book. The story centers around the disappearance of a precious Indian diamond from an English house. In many ways the story reminded me of other Victorian texts I'd read where an oriental threat appears to invade an English landscape; particularly Arthur Conan Doyle's The Sign of Four (1890) and Richard Marsh's The Beetle (1897). It took me longer than I expected to get through The Moonstone, in fact I think I got through Dickens's epic Bleak House in less time, but in many ways this is because Collins invites his reader to play a time-consuming role as detective themselves. The narrative shifts constantly as various plot details are explained by different characters; from household servants who enjoy smoking pipes and reading Robinson Crusoe, to piebald Doctor's addicted to opium, and self-righteously religious cousins. At the same time, while you read over the various narrative accounts you're challenged as a reader to judge the quality of the narrative for yourself; is the narrator trustworthy? how does their particular take on events compare to the same events described by others? how does each individual narrator figure in the narratives of the others? In this way, the novel challenges its readership by subtly asking these complex questions and testing the reader's own skills of detection and observation. I definitely think this would be a novel that would benefit from a second reading. Have you read any Wilkie Collins? What did you think of The Moonstone if you've read it? I'd be interested to hear.


So the years pass, and repeat each other; so the same events revolve in the cycles of time. What will be the next adventures of the Moonstone? Who can tell! 

p.473

p.p.s. reading this story made me dream about wearing moonstones even more!



4 comments:

  1. I love Wilkie Collins!!! I definitely enjoyed The Moonstone, though, it isn't my favorite-favorite Collins novel. (I loved Armadale, loved Woman in White). Still, I think this is a great book, very enjoyable!!! I had low expectations so I found it quite enjoyable and was surprised by how fun it was to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you - I must check out Armadale!

      Delete
  2. It's a while since I read The Moonstone but I remember enjoying it. More recently I read The Woman in White which I loved. I'm looking forward to more Wilkie Collins and will probably read No Name next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Woman in White is the next Collins book on my list, I've heard such great things about it

      Delete