Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Mill on the Floss



This morning I finished reading George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss. The story is gripping and tragic, and in the last couple of pages I found myself blinking back tears. For me it was a story about strength in the midst of human frailty and alienation. Eliot's heroine Maggie is one of those Victorian women who I felt a rapport with. Though she is a tragic figure and her flaws are not hidden from the reader, Maggie is empowering: instead of fleeing her home, she willingly endures the cruel criticism of bystanders who peer into the complications of her life, and overcoming opposition she eventually proves herself loyal, courageous and selfless. Have you read anything by Eliot? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this novel, or any of your recommended reading. Here's a quote from the end of The Mill on the Floss which I found myself re-reading a few times:

It was not till Tom had pushed off and they were on the wide water - he face to face with Maggie - that the full meaning of what had happened rushed upon his mind. It came with so overpowering a force - it was such a new revelation to his spirit, of the depths in life that had lain beyond his vision, which he had fancied so keen and clear - that he was unable to ask a question. They sat mutely gazing at each other: Maggie with eyes of intense life looking out from a weary, beaten face - Tom pale with a certain awe and humiliation. Thought was busy though the lips were silent: and though he could ask no question, he guessed a story of almost miraculous divinely-protected effort.

George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss.

p.s. an interesting article on this novel

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear - it's going to have a sad ending!!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog - my first visit to you and I've been enjoying reading some your posts. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Hope I didn't spoil it for you! I'm still thinking about it a week after I finished reading it (a good sign in my opinion). Lovely to hear from you

      Delete
  2. I haven't read George Elliot, and still don't know which one I should read first, Silas Marner or The Mill on the Floss. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by. This was my first George Eliot novel actually, so I can't say much about Silas Marner (though it is on my book pile at the moment). The Mill on the Floss is a semi-autobiographical though, so maybe it would be a good one to start with from that perspective? It gives you a glimpse into the woman behind the writing.

      Delete