Thursday, January 19, 2012

Happy Birthday Poe



Today it's Edgar Allan Poe's birthday. Do you like his former dorm room at the University of Virginia?  Gorgeous window. I struggle to read Poe in a dark room on my own, his writing is so chilling. It seems that Poe has become the writer I always go to read at Halloween, a bit like Dickens is the typical Christmas go-to for many of us. It may be cliche, but my favorite Poe piece is 'The Raven'. To me, this poem really does create the sense of feeling trapped in an echo chamber, and long after you've finished reading, the rhyme and tripping rhythm linger on.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, 'Lenore!'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, 'Lenore!'
Merely this and nothing more.

The Raven. 1845. Edgar Allan Poe.

No comments:

Post a Comment