Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Martha Marcy May Marlene





A couple of weeks ago I went to watch Martha Marcy May Marlene at the cinema with my friend L. After watching the trailer I was a little apprehensive, it looked emotionally draining and at the moment I'm not into emotionally draining films...I get far too involved. While there's no denying that I did get teary-eyed/gaspy at a number of stages in this film, I found it fascinating. The plot was captivating, the characters well developed, and I enjoyed the way the dual narratives cross-cut and disorientate the viewer (at a number of points I didn't know which storyline I was in). The two landscapes of the film, and the conflict between striving to be self-sufficient versus the comfort and security of the middle class domestic world were thought provoking, and I found myself mentally returning to these themes and ideas on a number of occasions. Have you seen Martha Marcy May Marlene? I'd love to hear what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment