Monday, January 2, 2012

This Year



I have a love-hate relationship with the new year moment. I'm awe struck by being in the midst of one of time's turning points, where you're supposed to reflect on the past and look forward to the future. But as the hours draw closer to midnight I usually feel a mixture of excitement, nostalgia, and a tiny bit of panic about the unknown year ahead. Does anyone else get this?

Usually, I make the standard resolutions: eat more fruit, drink loads of water, go to bed earlier, run more. While I'm probably going to try and do all the same things again this year - why break with tradition - I'm also making a few resolutions about improving in other ways: it never hurts to work on being kinder, more patient, more optimistic and more thoughtful. To take each day as it comes, and not stress about the small stuff.

And just for fun, I'd also love to make sure that this time next year I've filled in a few reading gaps...

Ulysses by James Joyce (second attempt)
Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch

No comments:

Post a Comment